作为她二年来的直接领导,我可以说她是一位优秀的秘书。
Bootlicker 拍马屁
I am really tired of Terry.
我真的觉得Terry很令人厌烦。
Oh, but I suppose he has lots of talents.
噢,但是我觉得他多才多艺。
He is a bootlicker. I suppose that is because he is quick on the uptake.
他是一个马屁精。我想是因为他的理解能力很强。
Talk big 吹牛
Fixing computer isn’t my cup of tea. You can leave this job to Jason.
修电脑不是我喜欢的事。你可以叫Jason来修。
Yeah, he has a good commend of computer skills. But….
是的,他有很好的电脑技术。但是…
But what?
但是什么?
But he is always talking big.
但是他老是吹牛。
Long way to go 路途遥远
Let’s call it a day.
我们收工吧。
It’s nice to go home earlier once in a while. But it’s the evening rush.
偶尔早点下班回家真好。但是现在是晚上下班高峰时间。
It’s hard to commute a long way.
通勤一段上路很难。
Sure it is. I really hate to get caught in a traffic jam.
的确是这样。我真的很讨厌遇上交通堵塞。
Do my best 尽我最大努力
Is the view going to be ok?
视图没问题吧?
Don’t worry, you did a good job and it should be fine.
别担心,你干得不错,应该没问题。
I’ll do my best.
我会尽我最大努力。
That’s the way to go.
就该这样。
SCENE B 艾文与玛莉在意式浓缩咖啡前出现
Elvin: She is, like, 1) mega-intense, isn't she?
艾文: 她整个人热力四射,对吧?
Mary: Ha, she is unstoppable. I'm learning so much from her.
玛莉: 没有事情能挡得住她。我跟她学了好多。
Elvin: What's it like to work with her?
艾文: 跟她共事是啥感觉?
Mary: She's 2) demanding. But I like that. I mean, I know our timeline is tight.
玛莉: 她的要求很高。但我喜欢那样。我是说,我知道我们的时间很紧。
Elvin: Tell me about it.
艾文: 这还用说。
Mary: You guys are working around the clock, I know. That guy Dave next to Zina never leaves.
玛莉: 我知道你们都在二十四小时赶工。那个坐在吉娜隔壁叫戴夫的人从没离开过。
Elvin: Vince wants us to have everything 3) debugged and ready to go by the end of the month.
艾文: 文斯要我们把程序错误全部修正,准备在月底前上线。
语言详解
A: Your mother is so demanding!
你妈妈的要求真高!
B: That's what my dad always says.
我爸爸也总是这么说。
【around the clock 日以继夜】
由clock 组成的成语除了around the clock 之外,另有一个against the clock“赶时间”。
A: Frank, why does your factory have to work around the clock this month?
佛兰克,为什么你们工厂这个月要日以继夜地赶货?
B: Well, we have got quite a lot of orders for shipment this quarter.
我们最近收到相当多订单,都要这一季出货。
A: In other words, you are all working against the clock now.
换句话说,你们现在全都在赶时间。
B: You're right.
你说对了。
1) mega-intense intense是指“紧张的、一触即发的”,字首(prefix) mega是“非常,相当多”的意思,亦指 “百万的”,如 megabyte“百万位元组”。
2) demanding (a.) 要求很高的
3) debug (v.) (电脑)除虫,指修正电脑程序中的错误。
在同一个办公室工作,难免会遇到以往一起工作的同事升职的情况,这个时候我们应该怎么祝贺这位同事呢?来看看下面这段对话吧!
A:Hey, you have been promoted to president of the department.
嗨,你升为部门经理了。
B:All this is thanks to the efforts of my superiors and colleagues.
这都归功于上级和同事的努力。
A:You are so smart. Your efforts in the success of the plan were outstanding.
你太聪明了,你在这次企划的实施过程中功不可没。
B:I just did what I should have done.
我只是做了份内的事。
A:You’ve got a great personality.
你的个性真好。
B:Thank you for your compliments. I will try even harder to repay the company and your support.
谢谢您的夸奖,我会加倍努力,报答您和公司的支持。
A:I believe you will. I’m very pleased with your work. Your promotion will contribute to the development of the company.
我知道,我对你的工作很满意,你这次升职也会对公司的发展大有帮助。
B:Thanks for saying so.
谢谢你这么说。
SCENE B 戴夫由上方探头,进吉娜的隔间
Zina: Do you want to know what really 1) motivates Vince to be nice to me?
吉娜: 你要知道文斯对我好的动机何在吗?
Dave: OK. What?
戴夫: 好啊。是什么?
Zina: It isn't 2) gratitude. It's fear. Vince is afraid I'll 3) jump to a 4) competitor.
吉娜: 那不是感激。是恐惧。文斯怕我会跳出去帮竞争对手。
Dave: You wouldn't do that. Would you?
戴夫: 你不会这么做,对吧?
Zina: I might. Vince knows he needs to keep me happy.
吉娜: 我或许会喔。文斯知道他得让我保持快乐。
Dave: What about your 5) accounts?
戴夫: 那你的客户呢?
-----------------------------------------
语言详解
A: Man, that guy was a really good boxer.
天啊,那家伙真是个好拳手。
B: You fought a good fight. But your next competitor will be even tougher.
你打了场好拳。但是你的下个对手将会更强。
【nice to me 对我好】
nice to 后面接“人”时,表示“友善、随和”的意思,例如:
Grandma was nice to me when I visited her.
我去探望祖母时她对我很友善。
We should all be nice to the new-comer.
我们应该对那位新来的人客气些。
【I might. 我可能会】
在英文中谈论可能的情态助动词(modals)有好几个,包括might, could, may, must。大致上,might表示的可能是最低,而must最高。
Tina might be sick.(少于50%可能)
Tina could be sick.(约50%可能)
Tina may be sick. (约50%可能)
Tina must be sick. (约90%可能)
1) motivate (v.) 给……动机
2) gratitude (n.) 感激
3) jump to... 换(公司),尤指违反合约的情况。
4) competitor (n.)竞争者
5) account (n.) 客户,尤指生意上往来的客户。
A new office 新的办公室
So, Monica, how do you like your new office?
Monica,那么你觉得你的新办公室怎么样?
Well, I love it. The room is special and clean with big windows and a lot of sunshine. There are plants along the corridor. Especially, I got my own desk with computer and telephone. Such a great place!
额,我很喜欢。房间设计特别,干净,有大窗户和阳光。过道上摆放着植物。特别的是,我有我自己的办公桌,电脑和电话。如此好的一个地方!
That’s very good. I once turn down a job offer just because the office is awful.
非常好。我曾经因为办公室太糟糕而拒绝了一份工作。
What was so bad about it?
它有什么不好的地方?
Small rooms, small window, a small desk shared by three people. I would have been interrupted all the time and for sure not be able to deliver good work.
小房间,小窗户,小办公桌,三人共用。我总是被打扰,肯定交不出什么好成果。
Sounds bad! Lucky you! You didn’t take that job. I think a good office environment is also important to work efficiently.
听起来太糟糕了!你很幸运。你没有做那份工作。我认为一个好的办公环境对有效进行工作来说也很重要。
Totally agree. By the way, the number of the telephone on your desk is extension 506. You can pick up your office supplies from the supply room at the end of the corridor.
完全赞同。顺便说一下,你桌上的电话号码是分机506。你可以去过道尽头的物料室选你要的办公用品。
一
A: You are going to be really jealous when you find out where I’m headed for the holidays!
B: Don’t tell me! I’m sure it’s someplace wamp3 and sunny with great beaches!
A: You got it! I’m going to spend two fabulous weeks in Hawaii!
B: You are so lucky! Send me a postcard!
A:你要知道我度假去哪儿你肯定会妒忌坏了!
B:不用说!肯定是个充满阳光的温暖的海滨什么的。
A:你猜对了。我要在夏威夷度过两个星期的快乐时光。
B:你太走运了!给我寄张明信片来。
二
A: Hey, Philip! You won’t believe this!
B: What? What’s the good news?
A: My son, Harvey just got into Harvard! He starts next September.
B: That’s wonderful! You must be really proud of him!
A:嘿,菲利普!你不会相信的!
B:怎么啦?什么好事?
A:我儿子哈威刚刚考入哈佛。九月份上学。
B:真不错。你一定为他感到非常骄傲吧!
三
A: Hi, Sally! You are talking to the proud father of a new baby girl!
B: Congratulations, Bob! That’s great news, what’s her name?
A: We’ve named her Alice after my wife’s grandmother.
B: That’s a pretty name. Give your wife my best!
A:嗨,莎利!你正和一个刚得了个女儿的得意的爸爸说话呢!
B:祝贺你,鲍博!真是好消息!她叫什么名字?
A:我们给她起名叫爱丽丝,用我太太祖母的名字。
B:漂亮的名字。替我问候你的太太。
四
A: Guess what, Mark?
B: What? What’s up?
A: Our softball team is in the finals! We’re playing the McGrath office on Saturday.
B: Fantastic! I’ll be there!
A:你猜怎么着,马克?
B:怎么了?什么事?
A:咱们的垒球队进入决赛了。星期六咱们对麦格拉斯公司队。
B:好极了。我一定去。
五
A: Hi, Ellen. That outfit looks terrific!
B: Thanks, Jim. I didn’t think guys paid attention to stuff like that.
A: No, we just don’t usually admit it!
B: Well, thanks for the compliment anyway!
A:嗨,爱伦。这身外套真棒。
B:谢谢,吉姆。我不知道男孩子也会注意这类事情。
A:不是不注意,只不过通常不承认罢了。
B:不管怎么样,谢谢你的夸奖。
SCENE C 加州的资讯王办公室
Dave: You don't know Elvin? 1) Studly programmer 2) numero uno? With the 3) ponytail and nose ring?
戴夫: 你不认识艾文?那个头好壮壮,叫我第一名的程序设计师?绑马尾穿鼻环的那个?
Zina: Great. A 4) geek and a 5) punk all rolled into one. Just my type.
吉娜: 好极了。集怪胎与朋克于一身。正合我意。
Dave: You think he's the one?
戴夫: 你觉得那个人就是他?
Zina: Could be. He sounds like a 6) prime suspect.
吉娜: 有可能。他听起来很像头号嫌疑犯。
Dave: What about your 7) assistant? She was here looking for you just now.
百度搜索“70edu”或“70教育网”即可找到本站免费阅读全部范文。收藏本站方便下次阅读,70教育网,提供经典演讲稿大全办公室礼仪英语:对新同事致辞(锦集17篇)(办公室礼仪英语短句)(2)在线全文阅读。
相关推荐: